Delivering the Project Status Report
For any project that is in progress, the project manger will create a weekly status report. The status report will have a summary status with one of the following:
- Red - The project has outstanding issues that
require immediate attention from the Project Sponsor.
- Yellow - The project has outstanding issues that
require project sponsor attention.
- Green - The project has no outstanding issues
that require project sponsor attention.
Status Report Details
In addition to the high level status, the
project status report will include the following sections:
- Accomplishments - Deliverables that were completed and delivered in the past
- Planned Activities for Next Week - Deliverables that will be completed and
delivered in the next week
- Issues Needing Action - Issues needing action by the Project leadership or
- Issues Resolved - Issues that were resolved in the past week
- Budget - State of the project budget includes approved scope changes.
- Project burn rate - An accounting of the cost per week of the project team.
- Schedule - Description of the state of the project schedule. Can also
include a copy of the MS-Project document, HTML report from MS-Project, or a
link to the MS-Project document on a server.
About the Author
Mark Hazleton has been active in Information Services delivery for over 20 years.